Little House in the City

Little House in the City

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

EGG!

If you recall the first week of August say, by re-reading my post The Ladies of Lester St, you will remember a certain precocious chicken named Roxanne.  Foxy Roxie, of the heavy black eyeliner and early-developing feathers.  The gal with the big mouth that is always forcefully commenting on something, particularly my lack of speed when it comes to distributing kitchen treats. 

Well, we have some exciting news:  we have our very first homegrown egg.  And, since it is greenish-blue, we know who to thank--our big, grown up "easter-egger" Roxanne.

Some of the books that I've read warn that the first few eggs in a girl's life of laying might be not quite right--maybe misshapen or lacking a yolk, or even some of the hard shell.  I was prepared for a few Frankenstein eggs to appear first.  But this little gift is perfect--smaller than future eggs will be, but otherwise perfectly formed.  I have to admit, it is hard to believe that such an amazing thing has actually happened--that this quirky character of a creature, who was herself an egg only a few months ago, dug a small bowl-shaped nest in the pine shavings and laid a little blue egg.  If I don't watch it, I'll start babbling about the deep mysteries in the circle of life and have you all rolling your eyes....

Serendipity must be in the air, because I found the egg last night, under the best possible circumstances:  my dear little friends, Teagan (almost five) and her brother Greyson (almost two) were along to help put the chickies to bed.  I spotted the egg in the dim, far corner of the coop and had to crawl in to get it.  I will never forget the joy of sharing what I held in my hand with Teagan--I think we both shrieked and jumped up and down a little.  Even though she is recovering from a week of the flu, and is still quite subdued, pale, and tired, our discovery put some roses back in her cheeks and a huge perk in her step.  After a short conversation to clarify how baby chicks only come from eggs when there is a rooster around (dangerous ground), and so these girls are going to give us eggs for eating, not hatching, we scooped up her brother and ran to the house to share our wonderful news!

So, I can't quite bear to crack open the Egg yet, even though I am dying to see if the yolk looks like the rich gorgeous orangey-yellow ones we are used to from farmer's market vendors who let their flocks range.  When I do, rest assured that pictures will be taken!

No comments:

Post a Comment