Little House in the City

Little House in the City

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blog, what blog? It's spring outside!

Bare feet and violets...ah, Spring!
Well, hello there, faithful readers.  I have not been giving you the attention you deserve lately, and I'm sorry.  One of the many things I forget from one year to the next is how quickly it changes from mind-numbingly s-l-o-w-paced winter to "I'm panicking over my to-do list" spring!  Here's a quick update on what's going on at the homestead:

1.  SCHOOL SQUARED!  I leave this Thursday (ack, tomorrow) for St. Mary-of-the-Woods to present my final project for my master's program.  The project, as mentioned before, is a school garden and accompanying curriculum on urban sustainability.  I've been remembering how to use Power Point (ha!  thank you, ProStaff circa 1999) and preparing my presentation, as well as working through the obligatory organizational start-up period with the other folks on the school garden committee--you know, figuring out what supplies are needed, what fundraising we need to do, grants we should apply for, and also planning a garden kick-off party for Earth Day (4/22).

I really enjoy the connections I've found between the homesteading concepts that I've personally explored this year (and continue to explore) and the garden ecology concepts I want to include in lessons with the kids.  Here is what we will study:  Sun, Water, Soil, Plants,  and Birds & Bugs.  For each of these garden entities, I've been developing lessons and activities for the little ones that help to inspire good questions and ideas about how we live our human lives in relation to Nature.  What better way to talk about solar energy than by making a jug of sun tea from the lemon balm we are growing?  Or, even more magical, using a solar oven to make a snack of chips (kale chips, that is, with kale leaves from the garden, olive oil, salt & pepper?)  And what about putting on a play depicting what happens to the Good Bugs and the Bad Bugs when you spray a pesticide?  (If you are curious, read this about the Volterra Principle, one of those mathematical and ecological truths that Monsanto would prefer you ignore).

2.  Garden!  Girls!  Keeping ye old homestead a'runnin!  We've had to make some changes in the backyard, now that the wheel has turned:  the girls are grown and the garden is back to babyhood.  The chickens no longer get free access to the garden--at least until summer, when the plants are well established.  So, we have a temporary fence around the garden, and the girls are a bit miffed, primarily when I am working in the beds and they can't come "help."  Ramona, in particular, being the shameless beggar of the flock, has been sidling along the fencing, murmuring little coo's and peeps and giving me, as Jason would say, the stink-eye.  If she had visible eyelashes, she would bat them.  Good grief.

Safe, for now, from the hungry girls
The garden is already a fun, green place to be, thanks to the coldframe that I made last fall.  This is my first real attempt at extending the season, and it is very gratifying to have produce already flourishing!  We can now be gleaning from four collard plants, several clumps of spinach, some scallions, cilantro, and our favorite heirloom lettuce from last season, called "Forellenschuss."  I moved the coldframe down the row, and have planted some cold-friendly varieties in it, so that the frame can act as a safe, warm nursery for the next month while the seeds sprout and get established--broccoli, alpine strawberries, parsley, brussel sprouts, and two types of kale.
Forellenschuss, cabbage, spinach and scallions
The asparagus is also up and thriving...one more year and we will get to start harvesting from the plants, but for now we let them all grow and allow the roots to get nicely established so that the bed will be productive for decades.  It is hard, though, to resist....




In other fowl news, the chickens are slacking off in their duties!  Ever since we have switched to letting them roam the yard for most of the day, I have been getting fewer eggs.  I think there are several factors at work in the ladies' lives that are contributing to our dwindling egg supply, the first and biggest being that I acquired these little lives in the Fall, rather than the Spring, which is just not quite fair or in-step with the natural order of things.  I am hoping that their little hormonal systems even out a bit as light and warmth return.

Of course, the other potential factors here are that the girls are

A) now confused about where the nest box is, even though it has remained in the same spot

and B) they are probably hiding their eggs somewhere in the yard.  The other possibility (and my favorite, although it is a bit more crude) is that 

 C) they are simply being lazy.  I call them, fondly, Lazy Sluts.

Lazy ladies lounging in a sunny dust bath
 {Ahem.  While I am a huge proponent of choosing your words carefully, using inclusive language and making a practice of being as PC as possible in the larger world, I reserve the right to abandon my PC ways when I am nick-naming backyard poultry.}

SO.   Lazy Sluts or Fat Biddies.  These are my terms of endearment for the chickie-gals lately.  As we were all getting accustomed to having free-range of the backyard, I had been leaving the (human) garage door open as another potential escape route for the girls, in case of a hawk fly-by.  However, the girls decided this was their new awesome clubhouse and started oh-so-casually hanging out over in one corner, behind some bikes and the lawn mower.  You would walk in, and everyone would shut up and freeze.  I was reminded, forcibly, of teenaged girls sneaking cigarettes in the alley and gossiping about boy--except that these girls leave behind feathers and poop (and who knows, maybe hidden eggs), rather than ashes and butts. 

Not happening.  No more garage access.  So now, they just tear across the yard every time I go to that door, hoping--apparently--that I will forget to close it.

And did I mention that Roxie is molting?  Twelve months earlier than expected?  No pretty blue eggs from her until her little body can turn its attention from feather-making back to egg-producing.  And in the meantime she looks like a balding middle aged person going through a midlife crisis.  Not pretty.

(Hmmm.  Balding Lazy Slut.)

****

Hooo-kay.  Hmm.  I think the stress of school has finally damaged my brain.  I was going to continue on and share our dreams and plans for constructing a greenhouse later this spring, but at this rate, I'll be swearing and raving by the time I'm done.   Perhaps it is best to wait until next time.  :)  So let me send you off with a pic of my latest yarn splurge:  cotton, cotton, cotton.  It is time for my green/red/brown kitchen to get accessorized.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment