Little House in the City

Little House in the City

Monday, February 28, 2011

My big mouth

Right, so remind me not to taunt fate about a sinus infection next time, OK?  Grrr.  Cough.  Sniff.

I'm not sick enough to need official meds, but just enough to be annoyed and unable to focus my echoing head--drawn most of all to the couch and a blanket.  And right in the middle of so much going on!

Enjoying the sunshine...and some yogurt


 Saturday was my first foray into the Adventures of the Traveling Chicken Lady--I packed up Ramona and Roxie (with the generous help of Jason and my visiting sis, Christiana) and headed to my favorite wild bird store, Backyard Birds to lead a workshop on starting up a backyard flock in the city.  I figured it would probably just be my own friends in attendance, to be honest, so I was amazed to find that over 20 others came to the talk, all ages and levels of prior knowledge.  Ramona spent most of her time being held or petted, while Roxanne was so well-adjusted that she stood on one foot and took a nap.  It was a great experience for me, and so much fun to talk to the smiling, interested group of people.   There were all kinds of good questions and I am looking forward to honing my talk a little for future workshops--hopefully one next month and then a little later in the summer.  If you would like to follow this on Facebook, there is a group:  City Chickens Indy.  You can search for and "like" it.

As soon as I get my hands on pictures from the workshop, I will post some--also, if you live in Indy, the Broad Ripple Gazette was there, so who knows....

I spent much of yesterday afternoon outside with the girls, soaking up sunshine, blowing my nose, and brainstorming what I want to do with the yard and garden this year.  I should have been redistributing the daffodil bulbs out by the mailbox--they barely flower because they are so crowded--but with my stuffed head, it didn't seem advisable to be head-first in a flower bed.  So, instead, I surveyed the southern quarter of our yard; the sunniest area where the garden and berry bushes are, trying to decide if I want to fence it off.  Also, I have a firm belief that we can (should?) cut our teeth on home-construction with a greenhouse made from salvaged windows, which I really really want to build off the back side of our garage.  However, I am simultaneously trying not to take on more than I can handle in the midst of finishing school, so I just keep sketching ideas for it and surreptitiously googling DIY greenhouse construction.  I would try to post my last sketch, but Fern walked across it with muddy feet.  (!) 

In the midst of garden planning, I remembered to snap some pictures of the garlic--it is UP!  Ha, winter.  So there. 





No other bulbs up yet, but the green guys in the cold frame have officially overwintered successfully--no growth, but everyone is still there and much more perky and green since the weather has had its mild moments lately. 

In other gardening news, I am so excited to be working on forming a school garden for a neighborhood preschool cooperative--one that will be using a plot of land in Rocky Ripple's community garden as their classroom!  I am hoping to work in some sessions on things like rain barrels, composting, saving seeds and other ways to live and garden more sustainably in the city.  I think this is going to be a fascinating process, and invaluable experience in getting a project like this off the ground.

Since I am feeling slightly better today, I now find myself very behind!  Library, bread baking, cleaning, laundry, and several paragraphs to write for the school garden proposal--not to mention that I need to revisit my notes on my school stuff prior to meeting with my program director to set my path for this spring.  No more time for the couch!

No comments:

Post a Comment