Little House in the City

Little House in the City

Friday, September 17, 2010

Making hay while the sun shines....

Buckwheat, shortly after sprouting
One of the unexpected lessons of my garden this summer has been the ins & outs of a funny little tri-cornered grain called buckwheat.  Those of us who like our breakfast foods fried on a griddle probably know of buckwheat pancakes, while the organic gardeners amongst us know of buckwheat as a quick cover crop which excels in loosening poor soil, crowding out weeds, and making nutrients available for future plants.  I planted a row in the garden last spring when I just couldn't face the idea of digging and working one more inch of ground in preparation for more finicky vegetable plants.  I planned (operative word) to follow directions and cut it down before it went to seed, then plant warmer weather stuff in its place.

A flowering jungle of buckwheat and bees.
If you are convinced that you have a black thumb...plant some buckwheat.  No, really.  It should be a poster-child for instant-gratification-gardening.  The seeds sprout within days, and the plants zip through their entire lifecycle (seed to seed) in 6 weeks.  (Attention chicken owners:  the girls are enormous fans of the sprouts!)  The white flowers aren't big or exceptionally pretty--but the pollinators adore them, and your garden will thank you.  If the soil-prep and pollination help aren't enough to convince you, there is one more gift from the buckwheat plant:  you get hay out of the deal in the end, if you'd like!

I would love to claim that I planned from the beginning to plant buckwheat and harvest the hay for winter bedding for my flock, but when I planted that original row, I had no idea that I would be unemployed & a chicken-wrangler by the end of the summer.  Rather then pulling the buckwheat and using that bed for veggies, I let the plants self-sow freely (due to lazy gardening, primarily, although this was easily rationalized as I watched the bees happily humming among the flowers).  Much to my surprise, this accidental crop will save me at least a few dollars in purchased litter for the girls and allows me--albeit in a small way--to close my homesteading loop just a little more.  One more way to provide for our needs without leaving home!  Hurray!


Drying the hay
While the plants pull up easily, I quickly found that cutting them off at the ground eliminates getting a bunch of dirt mixed in with the plant material--and leaves a little of the goodness to decompose back into the soil.  I piled up the buckwheat on a tarp to dry, occasionally taking my garden rake and flipping it over to expose it all to the sun.  And then, I got an old plastic tub and some garden twine and made a bale!  I positioned two pieces of twine across the width of the tub and one across the length, anchoring the ends underneath the tub to hold the twine in place.  Then I compressed as much of the hay as I could into a roughly rectangular bundle, dumped it in the tub, and stepped on top to crush it.  I repeated this until the tramped-down-hay reached the top of the tub, tied the twine tightly, and lifted out the bale (with a great deal of pride!)

Who knew this was so easy?
I ended up with two bales roughly 3'x1.5'x1.5'--and if I had been focused on cutting the hay every six weeks all summer, I am sure I could have easily tripled that amount on a 4'x18'  garden row, if not much more...another thing to track and measure next year!  In the meantime, I have a cheap & easy source of fresh green appetizers for the chickies all winter--now that I know how easily buckwheat sprouts.  Maybe next summer I'll try to harvest some of the grain and we'll have those buckwheat pancakes after all....

No comments:

Post a Comment